Instance Sizes Guide
Before launching Matillion ETL it's worth understanding the available instance types and their limits, allowing you to choose the appropriate instance type for your team. The Matillion ETL client is limited by instance size in the following ways:
- Threads: The number of tasks that can execute simultaneously inside the Matillion ETL instance. Dictated by the number of vCPUs available on the instance. See Job Concurrency for more information.
- Concurrent users: The number of users that can be using the system at the same time. There is no limit on the number of registered users when security is enabled.
- Environments: The total number of environments across all projects that can be defined in a single instance of Matillion ETL. 1 Environment = 1 Project. Thus, the number of Max Environments is equal to the max number of Projects connected to a server.
- Enterprise Mode: Enterprise-only features are only available on certain instance sizes.
For more information on instance sizes, please consult the documentation for your chosen cloud platform:
- Amazon Documentation on instance sizes
- GCP Documentation on instance sizes
- Azure Documentation on instance sizes
|Instance Size||Max. Concurrent User||Max. Environments||Max Threads||Suitable for||Enterprise Mode Available?|
|t2.medium||2||6||4 (Throttled)||Teams of 1 or 2 persons||No|
|t3.medium||2||6||4||Teams of 1 or 2 persons||No|
|m4.large||5||15||4||Teams of 2 to 5 persons||Yes|
|m4.xlarge||12||36||8||Teams of 6 to 12 persons||Yes|
|m5.large||5||15||4||Teams of 2 to 5 persons||Yes|
|m5.xlarge||12||36||8||Teams of 6 to 12 persons||Yes
|m5.2xlarge||24||36||16||Teams of 6-24 or a highly-available production environment||Yes|
|r5.large||2||15||4||Production Environment. Low user count.||Yes|
|r5.xlarge||2||50||8||Production Environment. Low user count.||Yes|
|r5.2xlarge||2||200||16||Production Environment. Low user count.||Yes|
For users with m3 instances, we recommend the following conversions:
Cloud Formation Templates
For those launching Matillion ETL through Cloud Formation Templates, there are several premade Templates available via the Template Download pages. Each of the templates comes geared toward particular instance sizes; PoC templates work on t2.medium instances while Single Node and Clustered templates work on m4.large and m4.xlarge instances.
- Launching Matillion ETL for Redshift via Cloud Templates
- List of Matillion ETL for Redshift Cloud Templates
It is not possible to change your Matillion ETL for BigQuery instance size. Instead, we advise beginning a new subscription with the instance size you wish to use, migrating resources and then stopping your old subscription. Please contact Matillion Support for more information or help with this.
|Instance Size||Max. Concurrent User||Max. Environments||Max Threads||GCP VM Size||Enterprise Mode Available?|
We do not recommend a Medium instance by default for first time users as these tend to be for specialist purposes and lack many Enterprise features of the larger instances.
|Instance Size||Max. Concurrent User||Max. Environments||Max Threads||Azure VM Size||Enterprise Mode Available?|
|Large||5||15||8||D4s_v3 and D4_v3||Yes|
|XLarge||12||36||16||D8s_v3 and D8_v3||Yes|
If you have different requirements or use cases that require different limits please contact Matillion support
See the article on Launching the Product for links to finding Matillion ETL on your chosen cloud marketplace.