Import - Export
Import - Export
Jobs, environments, and variables can be exported from one Matillion ETL instance to be imported into another. One way of accomplishing this is through the API.
You can also use the Export and Import overlays, accessed through the Project menu. These overlays allow you to select multiple parts of your Matillion ETL setup to export to a JSON file that can be later imported to another instance (or indeed to the same instance as a simple, alternative backup method).
- To export jobs, environments, and variables, select the Project menu and then select Export. This will open the Export overlay.
- Select the combination of Jobs (in the left panel), Environments (centre panel), and/or Variables (right panel) you want to export. You can include all three types in a single export operation.
- Enter a File Name for the exported JSON file. You can accept the default of "export.json", but it is better to use a meaningful name so you can identify it when you come to import the file later, particularly if you have made a number of different exports.
- Click OK.
The exported information is saved in JSON format in a file on the machine the browser window is running on, in whichever default download location is used by your browser and operating system. This JSON file can then be shared or moved as you wish.
- To import jobs, environments, and variables, select the Project menu and then select Import. This will open the Import overlay.
- Click Browse to browse to the location of a previously exported JSON file, and select the file. This will populate the Import dialog with the exported information.
- Select any or all of the exported jobs, environments, and/or variables that you want to import.
- The Choose folder panel of the Import overlay shows your project's existing folder structure. If you select a folder here, the imported jobs will be placed under that folder. If you don't make a selection here, then by default the imported jobs will be placed at the top level of your project structure. In either case, imported jobs will have their original folder structure recreated under the selected location.
- Click OK.
- If an imported job has the same name as an existing job, it will be given a numbered suffix when imported.
- Exported jobs are not removed or altered in any way from the original instance.
- It is not recommended that users manually edit the JSON file.
- You cannot import resources from a newer version Matillion ETL instance into an older version Matillion ETL instance.
- Job variables are always exported/imported with their associated jobs, and are separate from environmental variables, which can be optionally included.
- When an environment variable is exported or imported, it is only the name of the variable that is exported/imported, not the value of the variable.