A Matillion ETL instance can be administrated via the Admin dropdown menu.
Clicking Admin in the top right of the screen will give you access to the following administrative tools:
- Download Server Log
- Matillion ETL Updates
- User Configuration
- Restart Server
- Manage Database Drivers
- Manage Backups
- Manage Groups
- Manage Permissions
- Product Improvement Metrics
- Only administrators will be able to view and access this menu.
- For users running HA (Clustered) instances, some options may be unavailable—namely, User Configuration as LDAP is used by default, and Restart Server and Manage Backups as there is no single machine to restart or backup.
- For any changes made within administrative tools to take effect, the server must be restarted. However, doing this will disconnect any connected client sessions and abort any currently running jobs.
Download Server Log
Clicking Download Server Log will automatically download the available Tomcat Catalina server logs of the Matillion ETL instance. The downloaded file ("catalina.out") will contain the servlet's logs in plain text. Server logs record only for a finite time and size, so it is likely the download will contain only recent history. For this reason, if an error has encountered, it is recommended users attempt to reproduce the error then immediately download the log file.
Matillion ETL Updates
Clicking Matillion ETL Updates will open the Matillion ETL Updates pop-up window. Then, click Check For Updates to see if there are any available software updates. If an update is available, it will be listed within the console, Update will also become available to click and begin the update process.
- The update function described here is only within the context of the Admin menu. If users wish to update an instance, please refer to Updating Matillion ETL.
- Furthermore, in-place upgrades on AWS-hosted instances for versions 1.39 and earlier require additional steps to upgrade. Please refer to the Updating from versions 1.39 or earlier of Updating Matillion ETL.
- The update process does not automatically back up an instance. So, it is strongly recommended a backup is performed before upgrading the instance (this can also be performed manually).
New users cannot access projects in Matillion ETL until they have logged in at least once—admins should try to make sure that this protocol is followed. The suggested steps to follow are:
- Ensure that any "sensitive" projects are not set to "Public Users" under the Manage Users tab in the User Configuration dialog. Doing this will prevent a user from automatically having visibility of those projects.
- Create a new user in Matillion ETL via Admin → User Configuration.
- Ask the newly created user to log in and then log out.
- The admin should then log in as an admin, and navigate to Project → Manage Project.
- Enable relevant project access to the new user.
Controlling user access to the Matillion ETL instance comes in two forms—Internal and External. For details on how to configure both internal and external users, please refer to User Configuration.
Internal: uses instance-based database of username, passwords and privileges. Users can be added, removed and modified in the Manage Users tab. Alternatively, an OpenID can also be connected to an internal user profile in the OpenID Connect Login tab.
- Passwords entered via the User Configuration pop-up window are displayed in plaintext but are stored as SHA512 hashes. If manually editing a password, either via the database or the API, the desired password must be supplied as a SHA512 hash. Plaintext passwords can never recoverable by any means.
- Before a new user can be added to a Matillion ETL project, the new user must log in to Matillion ETL at least once.
External: uses an existing directory server—for example OpenLDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) or Microsoft Active Directory. Completing the Set Realm Parameters form will allow users to use LDAP integration to grant and prevent access to users on a Matillion ETL instance.
Opting to use External security will prevent existing users configured in Internal security from logging in.
Matillion ETL can listen for HTTP (port 80) requests, HTTPS (port 443) requests, or both using SSL menu. Selecting either the HTTPS or BOTH options enables SSL. If SSL is enabled, SSL certificates may be uploaded to allow clients to validate the identity of the server. A certificate and key file can be added by clicking Upload Certificates once the appropriate files have been selected via Browse....
- Matillion ETL has SSL enabled by default.
- Users can find a library of commands pertinent to SSL certificates at SSL Commands.
- Do not use password-encrypted keys. SSL key files must be in PEM format.
- Clients using HTTPS will receive a certificate validation error until a valid certificate is provided.
Restart Server allows admins to restart the Matillion ETL instance without going through the Amazon EC2 console. Clicking Restart Server, will prompt a dialogue window for the confirmation to "restart the server now".
Manage Database Drivers
Upload JDBC Drivers to use with the Database Query components. Drivers for the majority of popular databases are already included. However, due to licensing restrictions, it is not possible to provide out-of-the-box support for Oracle, MySQL, DB2 or Teradata, so these drivers will need to be uploaded. Please refer to Manage Database Drivers guide for more details.
This allows the user to test and schedule automatic backups of the instance. Please refer to Manage Backups for more details.
Manage Groups (Enterprise Mode)
Allows admins to create, edit and remove Groups, each with an identifying name specified by the admin.
Manage Permissions (Enterprise Mode)
Alows admins to adjust the permission settings for any of the groups created in the Manage Groups window. These permissions can be tailored to almost every service and function in Matillion ETL—for example, enable or forbid user access, micromanage what users are able to do on the client, set up read-only users, forbid the deletion of resources, and allow scheduling of tasks.
Audit (Enterprise Mode)
Clicking Audit will show a list of significant activity within a Matillion ETL Instance. Most actions by users are logged here in detail such that they are accountable for any changes made. Please refer to Audit Log for more details.
- Audit Log option is available only when you are in a project. Its "disabled" when not in the project.
- The Audit Log is an Enterprise-only feature and is only available on m4 and m5 instances.
Product Improvement Metrics
Allows the collection of anonymous usage data to help Matillion build a better product. This is set to "Yes" by default. Please refer to Product Improvement Metrics for more details and to see a list of what data is collected.