SurveyMonkey Query Authentication Guide
- The SurveyMonkey Query connector uses an OAuth for third-party authentication.
- While connector properties may differ between Cloud Data Warehouses, the authentication process remains the same.
Creating an OAuth Entry in Matillion ETL
In Matillion ETL, on the top left corner of the screen, click Project → Manage OAuth.
If a SurveyMonkey Query connector has already been added to an Orchestration Job, the Manage OAuth window may also be accessed using the following method:
- Click the connector icon to open the Properties panel at the bottom of the screen.
- Click ... next to the Authentication input, and finally click Manage in the pop-up window.
Copy the Callback URL in the field at the top of the window as this will be required in Acquiring Third-Party Credentials.
Click + in the bottom left corner of the window to open the Create OAuth Entry window.
Click on the Service dropdown menu and select SurveyMonkey. Then, provide a name for the OAuth in the Name field and click OK.
On returning to the Manage OAuth window, check the list of OAuths to ensure the new entry is listed.
This entry is Not Configured. Configuration of the OAuth entry will be discussed in Authorising for use in Matillion ETL.
Acquiring Third-Party Credentials
Navigate to the SurveyMonkey Developer portal. Click Sign In on the right of the header menu. The browser will then redirect to a login screen. Enter valid login credentials to continue.
Next, on the SurveyMonkey Developer homepage, click My Apps on the left of the header menu.
On the My Apps page, click Add a New App on the top right of the page.
The App Creation window will then open. Provide details for the following fields:
- App Nickname – provide a name for the app
- Select an App type – select whether the app will be built for the App Directory or just a private team, then click Create App
A page for the newly created app will open. From here, click the Settings tab at the top of the page. Then, in the OAuth Redirect URL field, paste the Callback URL (copied earlier from the Manage OAuth window in Matillion ETL) and click Submit Changes.
Then, in the Credentials sections, copy the codes below Client ID and Secret as they will be required in Authorising for use in Matillion ETL.
- In order to copy the Secret, 👁 must first be clicked to make it visible.
- Additionally, when copying the codes, some browsers may add a space to the end of the string. Watch out for this as it will cause the credentials to fail.
Next, scroll further down the Settings page to the Scopes section, and click the following scopes:
- View Responses
- View Response Details
- View Users
- View Survey
- View Contacts
- View Collectors, then click Update Scopes
Authorising for Use in Matillion ETL
Return to the Manage OAuth window on Matillion ETL and click ⚙ next to the previously created OAuth entry. This will open the Configure OAuth window.
Using the codes copied from the SurveyMonkey Developer portal earlier, provide details for the following fields:
The next window will have an Authorization Link. Click the link to authorise Matillion ETL to use the acquired credentials.
If all is successful, the browser will return to Matillion ETL with a window stating, "Authorization Successful".