Launching Matillion ETL for Snowflake - Azure
Matillion ETL is an AMI-based ETL/ELT tool built specifically for Snowflake. Modern, browser-based UI. Powerful, push-down ETL/ELT. This support page describes how to launch and connect to Matillion ETL from the Microsoft Azure Marketplace.
If you have already completed these steps and wish to connect Matillion ETL to Snowflake, please refer to the documentation here...
1. Browse to the Matillion ETL page on the Instance Sizes for more information on what these options entail.
3. Click GET IT NOW to begin the launching process.
5. Product information is reiterated as you enter the Azure Portal. Scroll down and click Create to continue. Do NOT click Start with a pre-set configuration as this will not give you the correct selection of instance sizes.
6. The following tabs allow you to customise your new Virtual Machine (the Matillion ETL instance) in detail however we will only need to change a few things for most cases.
- Select the desired Subscription. This will likely default to your preferred subscription.
- Assign a Resource Group or create a new one for this instance.
- Give your virtual machine any name.
- Select your desired Region.
- Do NOT change the Image.
7. The virtual machine can be resized to a Small, Medium or Large instance. You MUST select a corresponding Virtual Machine size for your desired instance size.
Large: D4s_v3 and D4_v3
XLarge: D8s_v3 and D8_v3
Note your cost per month will be affected by resizing.
- For more information on VM sizes in Azure, see here.
10. Click Management. Select On for Managed service identity.
11. Click Review + create and then launch the Virtual Machine. It will likely take some time for the virtual machine to set up.
12. Finally, browse from the Azure Portal to Virtual Machines and select your new VM. You can reach your new instance via its listed Public IP Address.
WARNING: Your first login to the Matillion ETL client will use the following credentials as a login:
We STRONGLY advise that your first action on the client is to replace this default username and password with your own secure details. This can be done through User Configuration in the Admin Menu.
Once logged in, you will be required to enter your Snowflake details and, optionally, Instance Credentials.
Note: Some Matillion ETL functions and components rely on using Instance Credentials with correctly connected resources. Choosing to not configure your Instance Credentials will generally mean losing that functionaltiy. For example, the Azure Blob Storage Load component relies on credentials with access to Blob Storage.
Removing the VM
When the time comes that you want to remove your Matillion ETL VM from Azure, please note that it is created with several other resources that should be removed to ensure no further costs are accrued. Each resource shares the same prefix as your VM. The resource types to look for are:
- Public IP Address
- Network security group
- Network interface