Salesforce Output Authentication Guide
- The Salesforce Output component uses either a username and password or an OAuth for third-party authentication. This guide will only explain the OAuth method.
- While component properties may differ between Cloud Data Warehouses, the authentication process remains the same.
Creating an OAuth Entry in Matillion ETL
In Matillion ETL, on the top left of the screen, click Project → Manage OAuth.
If a Salesforce Output component has already been added to an Orchestration Job, the Manage OAuth window may also be accessed using the following method:
- Click the component icon to open the Properties panel at the bottom of the screen.
- Then, click ... next to the Authentication Method input, and select OAuth from the dropdown.
- Then, click ... next to the Authentication input, and finally click Manage in the pop-up window.
Copy the Callback URL in the field at the top of the window as this will be required in Acquiring Third-Party Credentials.
Click + in the bottom left of the window to open the Create OAuth Entry window.
Click the Service dropdown menu and select Salesforce. Then, provide a name for the OAuth in the Name field and click OK.
On returning to the Manage OAuth window, check the list of OAuths to ensure the new entry is listed.
This entry is Not Configured. Configuration of the OAuth entry will be discussed in Authorising for use in Matillion ETL.
Acquiring Third-Party Credentials
Navigate to the Salesforce Output website. Enter valid login credentials to continue. The browser will then redirect to the Salesforce Output landing page. Click the account dropdown menu next to your Account name on the top-right corner of the page and then, click Setup from the dropdown.
The browser will redirect to the Setup page, scroll down on the left to the Build section and click Create → Apps on the sidebar to open the Apps window.
In the Apps window, scroll down to the Connected Apps section and click the New tab to open New Connected App window.
Next, in the New Connected App window, provide the details required in the Basic Information and API (Enable OAuth Settings) sections.
Fill in the required fields of Basic Information section as shown below.
- Connected App Name – provide a name for the App to be connected.
- API Name – provide a name to the API.
- Contact Email – provide the email adress to be connected.
Fill in the required fields of API (Enable OAuth Settings) section as shown below.
- Enable OAuth Settings – click the checkbox to enable the OAuth settings.
- Callback URL – paste the Callback URL (copied from the Manage OAuth window in Matillion ETL earlier).
- Selected OAuth Scopes – select the required OAuth scopes from the list of available scopes.
- Access and manage your data (api)
- Provide access to your data via the Web (web)
- Full access (full)
- Perform requests on your behalf at any time (refresh_token, offline_access)
Once you have completed all the details then, click Save.
Browser will redirect to the New Connected App window once again, with a message " Allow from 2-10 minutes for your changes to take effect on the server before using the connected app ", click Continue tab on the window.
The browser will returns to the App window you have created, with the codes. Scroll down to the API(Enable OAuth Settings) section, copy the codes next to the Consumer key and Consumer Secret as they will be required in Authorising for use in Matillion ETL.
- Before the Consumer Secret can be copied, click Click to reveal to make it visible.
- Copy the Consumer key and Consumer Secret value. You might not be able to retrieve them after your perform another operation or close this blade.
- Additionally, when copying the codes, some browsers may add a space to the end of the string. Watch out for this as it will cause the credentials to fail.
Return to the Manage OAuth window in Matillion ETL and click ⚙next to the previously created OAuth entry. This will open the Configure OAuth window.
On the Configure OAuth window in Matillion ETL, provide the details for the following fields:
- Client ID – provide the Consumer Key copied earlier from the Salesforce Output website.
- Client Secret – provide the Consumer Secret copied earlier from the Salesforce Output website, then click Next.
- Use Sandbox – Select No, if you are using real environment and select Yes, if you are using a Sandbox environment for OAuth.
The next window will have an Authorization Link. Click on this link to authorise Matillion ETL to use the acquired credentials.
The Salesforce Output SigIn page will appear immediately, click Sign In on the screen. Then, the browser will redirect to a Salesforce Output Screen requesting confirmation of the permissions associated with the app. Click to Allow to confirm.
If all is successful, the browser will return to Matillion ETL with a window stating Authorization Successful.
Authorising for Use in Matillion ETL
If any help is needed configuring the Salesforce Output component for use in Matillion ETL, please read the Getting Support article.