Create Project (Synapse)
These instructions assume you have already successfully launched a Matillion ETL instance.
A Matillion ETL project is a logical grouping of configuration settings and resources—such as jobs—required to use Matillion ETL. When users first log in to their Matillion ETL instance, they will be required to click Confirm in the Product Improvement Metrics dialog, and then they must create a project when no existing projects are available to select.
To create a new project, there are two routes:
- The first route is situated in the Join Project dialog, which will appear automatically upon first loading an instance.
- The second route can be accessed by clicking Project, then clicking Switch Project, and then (for both methods) clicking Create Project.
There are no practical limits to the number of projects you can create. However, only one project is used by the client session at a time, and each project must have a unique name.
Creating a Synapse project on Azure
The following section describes how to create a Project in Matillion ETL for Synapse on Azure instances.
1. Project Details
- Project Group: Use the drop-down menu to specify an existing name for the project group. Projects are logically arranged in project groups.
- Project Name: Enter a suitable name for your new project.
- Project Description: Describe your project. This setting is optional.
- Private Project: Check this box to make this new project private. Only users granted access can view and work in this project.
- Include Samples: Untick this box if you do not want to include sample jobs in this project.
2. Cloud Connection
- Environment Name: Enter a name for your new Matillion ETL environment.
- Azure Credentials: Use the drop-down menu to choose credentials for the Azure cloud platform. 'Instance Credentials' is selected by default. Click Manage to add a new set of credentials. Read Manage Credentials for more information.
Ensure your Instance Credentials are correctly configured for the required cloud platform. For example, the Azure Blob Storage Load component relies on credentials with access to Blob Storage.
3. Azure Synapse Connection
- Endpoint: Enter the URL of the Azure Synapse portal you want to connect to.
- Port: Enter the port number. This is typically 1433.
- Username: Enter your username for the environment connection.
- Password: Enter your password for the environment connection.
- Advanced Connection Settings: Optionally, you can add additional connection options to your Synapse connection. Click Manage to open the JDBC Connection Attributes pop-up dialog. Use to add connection attributes, and enter Parameter and Value information in the fields provided. For more information, read JDBC Connection Strings.
4. Azure Synapse Defaults
- Default Database: Use the drop-down menu to specify the name of the database on your Synapse account to use by default.
- Default Schema: Use the drop-down menu to specify the schema you would like to use. If you have configured multiple schemas within your Synapse database, specify the schema you would like to use here.
- Concurrent Connections: Specify the number of configured, concurrent connections for existing jobs you want to use, that run in the Synapse environment. For more information, read Multiple Environment Connections.
To test the connection you must ensure all fields are populated with information in the Azure Synapse Connection and Azure Synapse Defaults dialogs. Click Test when you are ready.
Click Finish to create your project and environment.
When you first login to Matillion ETL, we recommend you replace your default username and password with your own secure login credentials. For more information about changing these credentials, read User Configuration in the Admin Menu.