Matillion ETL Instance Creation
Before using Matillion ETL you are required to register for a Matillion Hub account. For more information, read Registration.
This article provides information about how to create a Matillion ETL instance in the Matillion Hub. You are required to create a trial instance that will you will need to associate with your Matillion Hub account. As part of this process, you will be required to do the following:
- If required, configure your Cloud Provider and Cloud Data Platform. It is important you have the correct permissions and account details to enable you to proceed.
- Select a Cloud Provider, Cloud Data Platform and delivery methods. Since you will need to set up a working Matillion ETL instance, it is important that you are aware of your organization's preferences and have the correct permissions to configure resources in those respective services.
The below table shows currently available Matillion ETL products for each Cloud Provider and Cloud Data Platform.
|Amazon Web Services||Google Cloud Platform||Microsoft Azure|
|Delta Lake on Databricks||Yes||No||Yes|
Creating a Matillion ETL instance
To create a new Matillion ETL instance make sure you have previously registered for a Matillion Hub account. Once you have logged in, select Add new Matillion ETL instance from the Services tab of Select your service.
You will now be guided through a series of selections that will define your Matillion ETL instance. Below we outline all potential choices.
- Depending on your choices, some of the below may not be necessary and will not appear to you.
- Launching instances on GCP is not currently supported by the Matillion Hub but it is possible through the Google Cloud Platform Marketplace.
Cloud Provider: Select the Cloud Provider you wish to use to host your Matillion ETL instance. It should be noted that this choice determines the available Cloud Data Warehouses and other services (such as storage) as these can be reliant on the services available with that Cloud Platform. The table above outlines which Cloud Data Warehouses are available on each Cloud Platform.
Cloud Data Platform: Select the type of Cloud Data Platform your Matillion ETL instance will connect to. The data warehouse itself is not set up as part of this launch process; Contact your administrator for details on which Cloud Data Platform to use and how to connect to it. The choices available here will depend on the Cloud Provider you chose in the previous step.
Delivery method: Depending on your selections so far, you may be given a choice of which method to use to launch your instance, such as from a Machine Image or a template. Choose your deliver method to continue.
Region: Select the geographic region in which you want to host your Matillion ETL instance. This is potentially important if you have existing resources in a certain region.
Virtual Private Cloud (VPC): Select a deployment method. For some of these methods, you will be asked to choose between launching the instance in an existing VPC (should you have one) or setting up a new one.
Template Choice: If you chose to launch using a template as your Delivery Method, you will be prompted to choose between predetermined templates. If, instead, you are launching via a Machine Image, your launch choices will come when selecting the size of the Virtual Machine. For more information, see the following guides:
- Based on your selections so far, Matillion Hub will pre-populate your template ready for you to review. To finalize this process, click the Continue in [Cloud Provider] button. Alternatively, click Share with a team member if you do not have the required permissions. This nominated team member will be able to choose the configuration for you.
You will now be required to configure your new instance within your chosen Cloud Provider. For detailed information on launching your instance for each Cloud Provider, see the following documentation collections.
Now you have created a Matillion ETL instance, go straight to Associating a Matillion ETL Instance.
If you want to know more about how to access your Matillion ETL instance, read Accessing Instances.
If you want to know more about how to configure a connection between your Matillion ETL instance and your Matillion Hub account, read, Configuring a connection from Matillion ETL to the Matillion Hub.
Max users and environments
For Matillion Hub customers, the maximum number of concurrent users on a Matillion ETL instance is 16 multiplied by the number of physical CPU cores. If an instance has two cores, there can be 32 concurrent users.
Physical Cores by Amazon EC2 Instance Type.
A Matillion Hub customer can have up to 999 environments on their Matillion ETL instance.
For more information regarding setting up resources in your Cloud Data Provider, please read the following:
- Snowflake Configuration
- Redshift Configuration
- Delta Lake Configuration
- Generating Databricks Tokens