UI and Basic Functions
The following topic provides a quick introduction to the user interface (UI) and basic functionality of Matillion Data Loader (MDL). While there are a wide array of functions and options available, the goal of this guide to get new users up and running simple tasks in minutes. We will discuss the basics of MDL, explain common terminology and show how to use general interface features.
- Before beginning, a working instance of MDL must be running. Please refer to Signing up for Matillion Data Loader if help is required setting up an instance.
- While some features may differ between Cloud Data Warehouses, functionality of the MDL instance remains the same.
The screenshot below shows an example of the MDL interface with several pipelines. Please note, there are no pipelines when using MDL for the first time.
The majority of MDL features are accessed using the following system features:
- Manage Menu: Manage user credentials and shared elements, such as OAuth settings.
- Add Pipeline: Opens the 'Add Pipeline' wizard to create a new pipeline.
- Refresh: Update the container to show any recent changes.
- Pipeline Information: View the status and performance history for a pipeline.
- Manage Pipeline: View and edit key settings for a pipeline in a new tab.
- Region Selector: Choose between EU and US regions. Please note that each region is isolated from the other. Refer to the linked topic for more information.
- Help Menu: Access the Community site and administrative information.
The Manage menu lets you access a number of settings used throughout Matillion Data Loader, such as user credentials and destination configurations. Configurations of all types are stored with a unique name and are referred to when creating a pipeline. A configuration can be created as part of the pipeline process or independently using the Manage Menu. The following options are available from the Manage Menu:
- Account: Manage your Matillion Data Loader account and organisation.
- Cloud Credentials: Manage your credentials for using cloud services from AWS, GCP and Azure.
- Source OAuths: Manage your stored OAuths for your data sources.
- Passwords: Manage your Data Loader password store.
- Destinations: Manage your destination Data Warehouse configurations.
- Logout: Log out and exit Matillion Data Loader.
Each Pipeline displays its current status and recent performance statistics.
Each pipeline shows the following information:
- Source: Which service, tables and columns define the source data.
- Rows: The sum total of rows successfully returned by the pipeline in the last 30 days.
- Target: Which Data Warehouse and target tables define the target.
- Run History: The date, time (UTC), and status of the five most recent runs of the pipeline. A successful run shows a green tick icon and the number of rows returned. An unsuccessful run shows a red cross icon and a 'Failed' message. Click the 'Info' button beneath each run to view a detailed log output.
- Frequency: The user-defined schedule that defines when and how often this Pipeline runs.
Running a Pipeline
All pipelines are active once they are created, and run according to the frequency of their schedule. A pipeline can only be stopped by accessing the Manage options and disabling it. As such, you do not need to specifically 'trigger' a pipeline to run it. A pipeline may not appear to be running, if the schedule frequency is such that not enough time has elapsed before the first scheduled operation. A pipeline's schedule can be ammened at any point.