Launching Matillion ETL for Synapse
Matillion ETL is an AMI-based ETL/ELT tool designed specifically for Azure Synapse Analytics. This topic describes how to launch a "Matillion ETL for Synapse" instance from the Microsoft Azure Marketplace so that you can begin transforming your data.
Users must ensure they have the following:
- An existing Azure account.
- At least a pay-as-you-go subscription.
- An Azure Synapse SQL Pool instance.
How to Launch Matillion ETL for Synapse
1. Navigate to the Azure Marketplace.
(Click this link to navigate immediately to the product page for Matillion ETL for Azure Synapse and skip to step 4.)
2. In the search bar, search for "Matillion" and press either the ENTER key or click the magnifying glass.
3. From the search results, select "Matillion ETL for Azure Synapse". If you wish to launch Matillion ETL for Snowflake on Azure instead, read our Snowflake for Azure Launch documentation instead.
3. Click GET IT NOW to begin the launching process.
4. On the Create this app in Azure dialog, complete any mandatory fields and any other desired fields, then click Continue. A new internet tab will open, taking users to the Azure Portal—please log in if you are not yet logged in.
5. Click Create.
6. Users can customise their Matillion ETL for Synapse instance in detail. However, users will typically only need to edit a small number of settings before launch.
- Select the desired subscription.
- Assign a Resource Group, or a create a new one for this instance.
- Give your virtual machine (instance) a name.
- Select the desired region.
- Do NOT change the Image.
7. For helping selecting a size that best suits your needs, please read our Instance Sizes Guide and navigate to Azure Instances on this page.
8. Navigate to the Management tab, and turn "System assigned manage identity" On.
9. Return to the Basics tab and provide your "Administrator account" credentials. Then, click Review + Create. The virtual machine will take a few moments to configure.
10. Finally, browse from the Azure Portal to Virtual Machines and select your new Matillion ETL instance. Users can reach their new instance via its listed Public IP Address.
Your first login to the Matillion ETL client will use the following credentials as a login:
We STRONGLY advise that your first action on the client is to replace this default username and password with your own secure details. This can be done through User Configuration in the Admin Menu.
Once logged in, you will be required to enter your Azure details and, optionally, Instance Credentials.
Some Matillion ETL functions and components rely on using Instance Credentials with correctly connected resources. Choosing to not configure your Instance Credentials will generally mean losing that functionaltiy. For example, the Azure Blob Storage Load component relies on credentials with access to Blob Storage.
Removing the Virtual Machine
If you wish to remove your Matillion ETL VM from Azure, please note that it is created with several other resources that should be removed to ensure no further costs are accrued. Each resource shares the same prefix as your VM. The resource types to look for are:
- Public IP Address
- Network security group
- Network interface
These can be accessed and then removed via All resources in the Azure Portal.
If you require assistance launching Matillion ETL for Azure Synapse, visit our Getting Support page.